Sunday, September 7, 2008

A personal keeper piece... Blue yes BLUE Tigers eye, Apatire and Sterling silver.

I love love BLue tigers eye.  A little love story for you....When I was 7 or 8 I was at a flea market with my mom and found a large piece of blue tigers eye with no gold streaks in it.  I fell in love.  If I remember right he wanted like 10 dollars for it.  I think I had like 2 dollars and I was heartbroken.  He took pity on me and sold it to me for my two dollars.   I treasured it .  With all the moves I dont know what happened to it.  But it facinated me and something about it touched me deaply.  When I started designing jewelry I started looking for blue tigers eye remembering that pretty piece from my childhood.  At the local gemshow I found a vendor with some quarter sized polished nuggets.  While chooseing 3 for myself I had a strange realization, the color of blue tigers eye is eirily similar to the deep blue of the love of my lifes eyes.   His eye color has always facinated me,  I like to think that when I saw that breathtaking streaked blue so many years ago...  it was a part of the twisted path that led me to the man I love so much.   When I found this piece I chose it for its unmarred blue.  No obvious gold streaking.  I wanted to compliment it but not draw attention from the piece itself so I put a simple silver bail on it and paired it with a teeny faceted apatire rondelle to compliment the lighter blues and a sterling silver flower to make it a little more feminine.   I have worn it nonstop since I finished it.  I did go back and buy the other blue tigers eye she had,  it has gold streaking through it but is gorgeous also.  I havent decided what to do with it....

Its hard to capture the lighter nuances of the blue tigers eye.  It looks darker in the pictures than it really is.




No comments: